Sunday, June 1

Diagnose Me

Whenever a movie I like comes on television, I watch it. Right now I'm watching 13 Going on 30 with Jennifer Garner and the hot hott hottt Mark Ruffalo. I own this movie. Why don't I just get up and put it in the DVD player and watch it sans commercials? Why do I do this? My old roommate after college would get irrationally upset with me whenever I watched a movie I'd seen before, whether it was on TV or on video (we had VHS back then for all you youngin's). One day he said, "You know what they say about people who watch the same movies over and over again?" I said, "No. What?" He said, "I don't know. But I can guarantee it's not good." I did watch my When Harry Met Sally video so many times that it was all sound. No picture. I have the movie memorized pretty much. My friend dared me once to say, "...I'd like the pie heated and I don't want the ice cream on top, I want it on the side. And I'll have strawberry instead of vanilla, if you have it. If not, then no ice cream just whipped cream, but only if it's real. If it's out of a can then nothing" to our waitress. I can't do it. I'm a chicken. WHMS was on cable a few weeks ago. I DVR'd it. WHAT THE HECK IS MY DEALIO?? I own it. The next roommate I had bought me the DVD when my tape went bust. So I sat here and watched WHMS while I was DVR-ing it.

I guess I just find comfort in the sameness of these movies. Like they're my friends I check on every now and then. I usually put in You've Got Mail as background noise. This admission annoyed another friend. Just the thought of my doing it drove her crazy. That is until she spent the night, couldn't sleep and watched it. And I am pretty sure she cried.

Sleepless in Seattle is another one. It creeps me out though when I see the kids from that movie all grown-up. It makes me uncomfortable. It's clear I have a Meg Ryan addiction.

No comments: