Thursday, May 14

Old School

I'm taking two summer classes, one starting June 1 and the other starting June 8. Okay. Moment of truth...I got three As, a B, and a C this semester. Ugh...C...mathematics for elementary grades. You'd think 2+2 would be easy, right? Wrong. Not when there are fourteen different ways to teach a child that. Amazing the advances that have been made in methods since I was in elementary school. Math is definitely my weakest subject. Unfortunately, my other five classes (one was Pass/Fail and doesn't affect my GPA even though it was about ten hours of work a week and was my practicum/pseudo-student teaching and was still only a two-credit hour class) took up so much of my time (three or four assignments due every week and one class requiring minimum six hours of work every week just on one assignment), I wasn't able to spend a great deal of time studying my math homework. When I have time to study, I can actually get all As. I am determined to do it next semester. I missed an A in the B class by four points. Very frustrating. And honestly, I may not have even deserved the C considering how little studying I was able to do on the first two tests.

So, anyhoo, my summer classes are the second-half of the math class (which I am determined to get an A in) and children's literature. So exciting. Here is my required reading for the class:

Group 1:
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Savvy by Ingrid Law
The Underneath by Kathi Appelt

Group 2:
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Bridge to Teribithia by Katherine Paterson
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Holes by Louis Sachar
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
The Tale of Desperaux by Kate DiCamillo

I have to pick one from each group. Pick! Pick!

No comments: